Bright Spot: Live the Pledge
This "Bright Spot" shares a point of progress, as part of Leading Edge's Gender Equity in Leadership Project.
Following an article in eJewish Philanthropy called “The Week That All Jewish Women Turned Invisible” and a follow-up called “Ally Is a Verb,” a group of women and allies created Live the Pledge, a website turning the idea of male allyship into a set of concrete actions that men can do and amplify:
- Commit to listening and give space to women.
- Cite women’s voices equally.
- Notice when women are interrupted and redirect.
- Give credit where credit is due.
- Decline invitations to serve on all-male panels (manels).
- Bring more women to the table.
- Diversify your media consumption.
- Recommend women for jobs and board positions.
- Ensure gender balance on hiring committees.
- Ensure a safe and comfortable work environment for all.
- Don’t tolerate sexual harassment in the Jewish community.
- End the wage gap.
- Stand up for all women.
More details on each of these actions can be found at https://www.livethepledge.com/.